Spirion@USU (formerly Identity Finder)
Utah State University has a duty to protect Personal Identifiable Information (PII) and sensitive information generated from administrative, business, and research practices. Spirion is a data protection tool that will help you locate and secure this sensitive information. The following article will (1) familiarize you with Spirion, (2) provide instructions on how to use the tool, and (3) offer guidance as you make decisions on resolving flagged items.
What is Spirion?
Why is Spirion Important?
The risk of data breaches is minimized when sensitive information is stored in approved locations, such as Box. Spirion is an important data protection resource that offers the following advantages:
- Spirion identifies possible exposure of sensitive PII relating to USU employees, students, and others.
- Spirion scans will help identify what sensitive PII you are retaining and where it is located.
- Spirion software can remediate (or clean up) the PII on your devices and drives. Proper data storage will help
- (1) prevent or lessen the severity of a data breach
- (2) maintain compliance with laws, standards, and USU policies.
Where Do I Find Spirion?
Spirion may already be installed by the IT support personnel supporting your device. If not, you may download and install the program.
If you encounter any problems while using Spirion, please contact your local IT or the USU Service Desk at 435-797-HELP (4357).
How Do I Use Spirion?
If files do not download automatically, please log into your ServiceNow account.
How Do I Manage Spirion in My Area?
This section will address the questions of who sees the results of your scan, what is contained in the report, what is the University Console? Console management accounts can be requested by Business Managers and IT Support.
Are Additional Spirion Resources Available?
Yes! The following resources are also available:
- Training Videos: ils.usu.edu Search "Spirion" after login.
- Local IT Representative
- USU Help Desk: 435-797-HELP
- Comprehensive Spirion User Manual
- In-Office Training: Data Privacy Office, firstname.lastname@example.org 435-797-2558
- More Spirion Frequently Asked Questions